The Outdoor Classroom: EcoVentures Hawai‘i
(2015 O‘ahu) “Probably the most fun (and huge learnings) I’ve had in any workshop!” (Post-activity survey quote)
In June, HI FusionEd launched EcoVentures Hawai‘i – a pilot “Ride & Learn” professional development (PD) program for educators. The pilot (funded, in part, by the Hawai‘i State Department of Education’s 21st Century Community Learning Center grant), HI FusionED and partner, Earthworks, used the abundant resources on the island of O‘ahu as an “outdoor classroom.” Over the course of two very full days and with on-board professional development training by Cindie Ogata, MEd, the group visited various locations around the island, meeting ecology experts and sustainability practitioners, ending with a focused Design Thinking action planning session.
Tours for corporate groups exploring “Green Economy” strategies are also in development. For more information, please contact us via email at email@example.com.
- Keawawa Wetlands and Hawea Heiau staff
- Kevin Vacarello and Malia Smith from Sustain Hawai‘i (‘Ai Love Nalo Cafe and Palaka Moon Farm)
- Monique and Jenny from Naked Cow Dairy Farm
- Fred Lau and Bradley “Kai” Fox from Mari’s Gardens
- Chef Chris Okuhara and staff from Miso & Ale
- Complex Area Superintendent, Ruth Silberstein
- 21CCLC Project Director, Pamela Kohara
- DT Practitioner and Consultant, Kapono Ciotti
“Sustainability! Our actions can change the world!” (Anonymous teacher quote from post-activity survey)PALAKA MOON FARMCALVES AT THE NAKED COW DAIRY & CREAMERYMARI’S GARDENSONO VEGAN FARE FROM ‘AI LOVE NALO CAFEKEIKI LEARNING OPPSLOCALLY SOURCED, ORGANIC LUNCH FROM MISO & ALETOOLS FOR EDUCATORSPROJECT-BASED LEARNING